How to improve the sound of your E-Learning videos for high quality courses
What you will learn in this guide:
- Getting a good audio base to edit as little as possible.
- How to decide whether to create the sound at the same time as the video or to do it later.
- Choosing a good microphone for your E-Learning videos.
- How to improve the sound of your E-Learning videos with Adobe Premiere Pro.
- How to improve the sound of your E-Learning videos for free.
- Add royalty free music to liven up your videos.
- How to hire a professional to improve the sound of your E-Learning videos.
Improving the sound of your E-learning videos is key to looking professional.
Have you ever gone into a YouTube video and run away because the audio left a lot to be desired? We all have.
If we are so demanding with free content, don't you think we will be just as demanding, if not more so, with paid content?
Here's how to improve the sound of your E-learning videos to deliver high quality courses, and get subscribers eagerly looking forward to your next video.
Important: Also follow these tips if you create a promotional trailer for your E-learning videos. Many users will make the decision to subscribe to your streaming video channel based on the quality of that first promotional video.
Get a good base sound to edit as little as possible
While it is true that you can edit the sound of your E-learning videos, ideally you should do it as little as possible.
The higher the quality of the original audio in your videos, the less editing you will need to do.
The first step is to create the right conditions for good sound, without which even the best microphone in the world won't achieve great results:
- Close doors and windows: You will prevent outside noises from disturbing the sound of your E-learning videos.
- Record at your quietest times: So that people do not interrupt you and external sounds are kept to a minimum.
- There should be as few people as possible at the recording location. Pets are best kept out of the room.
- Avoid recording in echoey places. Or at least try to do it in places with more absorbent elements in the house, such as sofas, curtains, carpets etc..
If you don't have a place that meets these conditions, rent a place to record your E-learning videos. Remember that, depending on your subject, it will need to meet a series of conditions: For example, a kitchen if your courses are about baking.
Decide whether to create the sound at the same time as the video or to do it later
When you record a video, you can talk while you do it, explaining the steps, or do the work silently and add the directions later using a video editor.
What does it depend on to do it one way or the other?
- Your comfort: If you don't feel comfortable talking to the camera, it's best to record the course silently and add the sound afterwards. Cook, make up, exercise... without speaking and add the directions on top when you finish. We recommend creating a presentation and farewell in which you do the talking, so you create closeness with the viewer.
- Your subject: If you have a Photoshop course, for example, it is not necessary to show yourself talking about what you are doing, it is usual to record the screen while you are working and add the guidelines afterwards. However, in a cooking course it is normal to talk to the camera while you prepare the recipe, but it is not essential either. You can focus on the hands doing the work so that it can be seen in the foreground, the same with other subjects such as handicrafts, make-up, painting....
- Your conditions: If the room where you give the course does not meet the environmental conditions of point 1, it is better to add the audio afterwards, recording the sound in a room that does meet these requirements.
How to choose a good microphone for your E-learning videos
Even if your camera or mobile phone already has a built-in microphone, these often don't give the best results.
The most commonly used for high-quality video recording are the RODE microphones that connect directly to the camera. Many professionals use them for video calls, so they are also perfect for live performances and one-to-one lessons.
The advantage of external microphones is that they eliminate the echo and voice blur that camera and mobile phone microphones tend to create.
Another advantage is that you can buy them in a lavalier version, and wear them on your clothes, taking up very little space. Lavalier microphones are used by television presenters.
You can find them on Amazon for less than €60.00.
To use it, connect the microphone to the device you are recording the video with so that it records the sound. External microphones are just as useful for adding audio to your video while you're making it or to do it afterwards.
How to improve the sound of your E-learning videos with Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Premiere Pro is a professional video editing software, it can do almost anything you can imagine: Modify audio, cut clips, add text...
It offers a 7-day free trial and then requires a monthly fee of €24.19 for the full version.
It is not the most intuitive program in the world, but it is one of the most complete. You will find many free tutorials on YouTube where you will learn how to do everything with it.
Here are some simple tips on how to improve the sound of your videos with Premiere:
- Improve your voice in Premiere: Adding the equaliser effect to your voice will make it sound louder and cleaner. With Premiere you work on different audio tracks that you create yourself. You can add the effects you want wherever and whenever you want, an effect can be in one portion of the video and not in another.
- Increase definition: Premiere also has an effect to make your voice clearer, more understandable and therefore the audio more pleasant. Just add the Mastering effect.
- Equalise the pitch of your voice: We often inadvertently speak louder and softer in the same video, which doesn't look quite right. This can be corrected in Premiere in the Multiband Compressor section and then click on Diffusion Effect. Your voice will sound even and the E-learning video will have a more professional finish.
- Remove background noise: To remove background noise and bring your voice to the forefront, you have the Adaptive Noise Reduction option. You will create a clear voice that will be the focus of attention.
Remember that in order to edit as little as possible, it is key to work on good original audio and a clear tone of voice. Do vocalisation exercises and record yourself speaking in front of a mirror to discover your areas for improvement.
How to improve the sound of your E-learning videos for free
You can also improve the sound of your E-learning videos with free software, these are some of the most commonly used:
- Audacity: Audacity is a free downloadable programme for editing the audio but not the image of your videos. It is very handy and makes almost any modification you want to make to the sound. It is mainly used from your computer and gives you the option to record your voice directly on its platform.
- Music Editor Free: This is a free sound editing program for Windows. It offers everything from simple options like cutting audio clips to more advanced ones like adding filters, which improves the quality of your voice and sound in general.
- WavePad: This free video editor is one of the best rated by users and its main advantage is that it works on Windows, Mac OS X, iPhone, iPad and Android. It allows you to create new recordings from within the programme and edit finished audios.
These free tools are not as comprehensive as Adobe Premiere Pro, but a great way to get started with a low investment.
Add royalty-free music to liven up your videos
Although it is not compulsory, it does improve the sound of your E-learning videos, as it livens up the video when no one is talking. Playing with the rhythm of music also conveys certain emotions.
For example, if you add upbeat music to a fitness E-learning video, you will motivate your audience to the maximum. If you use soft music with binaural waves in a meditation course, you will achieve a magical experience that your subscriber will fall in love with.
Where do I get royalty-free music?
The easiest way is to download it directly from YouTube, by typing "Royalty free music" in the search engine of the platform you will find a large number of audios that you can download. If you add the type of music you want, you will find your perfect sound sooner than you think.
In addition to YouTube there are exclusive platforms to download royalty free music, CLICK HERE TO DISCOVER 9 OF THEM.
Hire a professional to improve the sound of your e-learning videos
Your E-learning courses are a business, any money spent on improving their quality is an investment.
If you don't have the knowledge, time or tools to improve the sound of your E-learning videos, hiring a professional will save you a lot of headaches.
You may need an expert in audio recording to help you from minute zero, accompanying you while you record the E-learning course. In that case you will find professionals nearby by typing in Google "Audiovisual Production Company -name of your city-".
These professionals record the video for you, so they also advise you on the visuals, edit it completely and deliver it once it is finished.
If you only need someone to help you with the sound editing (and maybe with the image enhancement) you can hire a freelance video editing professional. On Workana you will find highly qualified professionals at affordable prices.
When you work this way, you are in charge of creating the complete video, then you send it to the professional with all the indications you want for the final result and a delivery date is agreed, when you will receive the finished video ready to upload to PLAYBAK.
Join PLAYBAK by registering for the BETA version, be one of the first 50 to join and do it for free. Become a #Playbaker and get traffic today.