How to make your own recording studio with minimal expense
Making your own professional home recording studio is very easy, step by step, and you can set it up in your home, your business or outdoors.
It's easier than you might think to record professional videos at home, but our minds often wander that we need expensive materials and expertise to achieve something decent.
Is this really the case?
No, these thoughts are actually limiting beliefs that cloud your vision and prevent you from achieving your dream.
Here's how to create your own home recording studio on a shoestring, for professional results this week. If thousands of people are already doing it, why shouldn't you?
First, let's take a look at what you need to create a mini home recording studio:
What does it take to make a home recording studio?
If you've ever wondered what I need to shoot a video at home, here's the answer:
- A comfortable and pleasant place to start recording.
- Three light sources.
- A lavalier microphone.
- A tripod.
- Your camera or smartphone.A lot of desire to have fun in front of the camera (essential element)
We know it's a lot of things to start with, so we're going to look at how to get them on a shoestring, and how to make some very effective homemade versions to get you off to a good start.
How to make your own home recording studio with minimal expense
Note: Although this article is focused on how to make a home recording studio for on-demand videos, the same tips are useful for getting a perfect finish on YouTube videos, live performances or short clips for social media.
How to choose and create the right background for your recording set
Most often, your on-demand videos are about a specific topic, i.e. you can record videos about make-up, yoga or cooking. (Among others)
In this case the background of your recording set should be a place that:
- Have the necessary space to carry out the activity comfortably and where all the materials can fit.
- With clean and well-kept walls, or pleasant if it is outdoors.
- Have the essential elements available, such as water or plugs if necessary.
Now stop and think, surely you have a place very close to you that meets all these conditions.
Have you already found it?
Great, then let's see how to set the scene for a professional home recording studio:
- Remove all excess items: If you are doing an on-demand yoga course, for example, remove nearby objects that have nothing to do with the activity, so that you have a clear work area. In this example you would only need the mat and, if you consider it appropriate, the yoga block, the rest is superfluous! (The same applies to other themes)
- Create a harmonious background: When, for example, you film in your own gym or beauty salon, the background is already set in your sector, but if this is not the case, it is a good idea to include related objects in the background, always at a prudent distance so that they don't get in the way. It is common for the camera to blur them out of focus, focusing all the attention on you and obtaining a more elegant result.
- Reflect your brand image: It is important that the external elements such as: tables, armchairs or ornaments, have the colours of your channel, in this way you create a solid brand image that the viewer can easily remember.
- If you are filming outdoors, choose a beautiful, quiet and uncrowded location.
The perfect lighting for your recording studio on a budget
At this point we must differentiate whether you will be shooting outdoors or in a closed room:
If you will be shooting outdoors:
The ideal time is early in the morning, just after sunrise. At this time the light is dimmer and creates few shadows. Cloudy days are also ideal in terms of shadows, the downside is that they are not as pleasing to the viewer's eye.
If you will be shooting indoors:
It's most common to shoot your on-demand videos in a closed environment. If you are lucky enough to have a room full of natural light, you can do without external elements, but these conditions are rare.
Generally, three light points are used for good lighting in a closed environment:
- One spotlight at 45 degrees from you.
- A second spotlight at 45 degrees opposite you, with a slightly lower intensity to respect the volumes of the face.
- A backlight placed behind you, at a higher height and focusing directly on your hair. This (as well as highlighting your hair) sets you apart from the background, giving a more pleasing 3D look.
This is the basic lighting technique used by professionals in the audiovisual world, including large productions.
Where to buy spotlights on a budget?
- On Amazon you can find complete lighting kits (2 adjustable spotlights) for less than 50€.
- On second-hand platforms you can find people who no longer use them and sell them for a very cheap price.
- You can also make your own homemade spotlights by inserting a bulb in a box lined with aluminium foil.
Tips on how to get great lighting with minimal expense
- The light directly behind you can be a lamp you have at home.
- You can replace the second spotlight with a reflector, as well as being cheaper, it automatically creates the softened effect that enhances your facial and body features.
- You can also make your own homemade spotlight by lining a large piece of cardboard with aluminium foil.
Finally, remember that the further away the spotlights are from you, the more powerful the bulbs need to be. A manicure tutorial where the lights are close to your hands is not the same as a pilates course where the spotlights are far away to illuminate your whole body.
If you want to know more secrets to improve the quality of your videos, you will love to read: How to improve the image of your on-demand videos to transmit professionalism.
The best microphone for your home recording studio and how to use it
Undoubtedly the best microphone for your home recording studio is the so-called lavalier microphone.
This small microphone measures only a few centimetres and is placed on the lapel of your shirt or the collar of your shirt. It perceives the sound at 360° so it will pick up perfectly everything you have to say. Ideally, it should be placed about an inch away from your mouth for optimal sound, although it will also pick up sound if you place it further away.
These microphones are very discreet, you've probably seen them on TV presenters. On the other hand, some youtubers like to hide the microphone so that it is not visible, so it is a practice that is becoming very fashionable, if you want to do it, you can attach it to your chest with tape or place it under the collar of your shirt. It is not recommended to attach it directly to the inside of your shirt or dress, as the rubbing of clothing can create annoying sounds.
A windproof hood is included to keep outside sounds unnoticed when recording outdoors.
Lavalier microphones record sound, so they must be connected to your camera, mobile phone or computer to record audio. There are lavalier models with very long cables, however, these are visible and are an additional concern, as they can be stepped on, are annoying and can be damaged by an accident.
How do we solve this?
Easy, with a wireless lavalier microphone, which includes a receiver and a transmitter. Both devices exchange information automatically without wires and, although it depends on the model, they usually work very well within a distance of up to 15 metres from each other. You can find them on Amazon for less than €35.
If you are making a video together with another person, you can hide the microphone somewhere in between the two of you, so you don't need to have two. For example, if you are together at a table, the lavalier can be placed behind a cup so that it goes unnoticed. As it picks up sound in 360º, it will pick up the words of both speakers perfectly.
A few weeks ago we published an article showing how to easily improve the audio of your videos, you can find it by clicking here.
Extra tips for your home recording studio
With everything we've just seen, you already know how to shoot a good video, but to end on a high note, I want to tell you 5 extra tips that will help you get more out of your home studio on a budget:
- You can place your mini home recording studio anywhere, as all the elements used are portable. Ideally, the home studio should be set up and dismantled for each video, so that you can take care of the materials and use the space when you're not filming.
- Although chroma key is not common in on-demand videos, you can create a chroma key in your home by painting a portion of the wall in a uniform green colour.
- Remember to use a tripod every time you shoot, if you are filming with your smartphone just get an adaptor, you can buy one from Amazon and tech shops for less than 10€.
- Changing the background details in each video will add dynamism to your courses.
- No matter how good your original videos are, they will always need a little editing, so ideally you should get a powerful computer and a good video and audio editing program as soon as possible.
And that's it Playbaker, with these simple tips you will get a home recording studio with low budget and minimum effort, to start recording today. Can you imagine the great videos you can get?
If you want to lose your fear of the camera and record with total ease, we recommend you to click THIS LINK.
Join PLAYBAK by registering in the BETA version, be one of the first 50 to join and do it for free. Become a #Playbaker and get traffic today.